Remove this ad

daveypark

Global Moderator

Lead

Jul 6 13 6:32 AM

Tags : :

Well I've has a couple of months driving the V6 after 5 1/2 years in the Twinny and here's my assessment of the two engines.
The engine is sublime in so far as the pickup, sound and flexibility. It will accelerate with ease and is a thing of beauty.
That said, I do miss the handling characteristics of the 2.0 which could be thrown into corners and on a twisty B road it was a joy and kicks the V6 into touch.
Fuel; well it likes a drink but it's worth the extra cost and to be honest it isn't that much more when driven as a second car but on a long journey I would chose something else to drive if it wasn't a show.
Running costs; early days yet, in my experience it's the rest of the car that needs expenditure rather than the engine; suspension, cv joints, brakes and tyres. Both engines are strong but plugs are half the price in a V6 and cambelts slightly cheaper due to 4-5 year change rather than 3 in the 2.0. Insurance was £60 more for me.
Verdict - I have a big soft spot for the 2.0 as have had a Twinny since 2004 now but the V6 is one of the all time great engines and something to experience whilst you can.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 6 13 7:16 AM

Re: Engines - V6 vs TS

I'm only a newbie of course, but I think I would go along with that, my twinny seems to revel in twisty B roads, and is good in the lanes, steering response is excellent, ride is firm and well planted, it suffers with some scuttle shake on the lumpy bits, but nothing I can't live with. I do think the Twinny is better balanced when it comes to enthusiastic driving on twisty B roads than the V6, but this opinion is based on a lot of surmise, and feedback from V6 drivers, maybe it has summat to do with the extra weight up forward of the V6?

As I have already said in another post, I would like a V6, but I think my liking is more to do with the sound they make with a decent exhaust system, and the look of the GTV. Around these parts there isn't many roads where the speed advantage of the V6 can be used to best effect, especially in the summer months when our roads are clogged up with dawdling grockles, they are just plain weird, they seem to drive in bunches, and don't seem to want to leave a decent space between them so other vehicles can get past them easily. Happily they mostly stick to the A roads, so B road routes to places around Devon and Cornwall are still pretty clear, as long as you don't mind mixing it with the odd tractor or three.

Sorry, rambling off on Fred Drift

One more wee observation though, why do most motoring journos, (spit), have nothing good to say about Alfas? It seems to me that unless a car has a Duetcher badge on it they aren't happy. Personally I think the likes of Clarkson are just a bunch of hand crankers.

(Edit)

PS. The word "grockle" is an old Devon word for haemorrhoids.............

They come down in bunches, turn red, and are a pain in the arse

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jul 15 13 7:05 AM

Having had a GTV V6 for nine years a few comments; the "Busso" engine is recognised as probably Alfas's best engine it can easliy be re-mapped to rev well past 7000 and produce 240BHP and with a decent exhaust AND improved more direct intake system can sound great.
With a V6 GTV an absolute must is a Q2 diff before getting involved in shocks, springs, bushes etc the diff will improve handling out of corners roundabouts a lot more than you would expect. I know I was very surprised after JP fitted mine.
As for drilled grooved disks waste of time IMO unless you are going on track days all the time, I tried ended up scrapping them as cracks appeared around holes etc. If you want to upgrade brakes fit 330mm to replace 305mm diameter standard disks on front as per GT and GTA but it will cost a lot. Worth fitting stainless braided brakehoses that will improve braking response.
Fitting a straight strut bar OMP or the like is worthwhile as well.
I kept the OEM springs and fitted Konis all round.
Not sure about V6 in a Spider too much skuttle shake so evrybody says.

Its old but its fast

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#3 [url]

Jul 17 13 12:27 PM

Yep, Q2 on the Chrissy list me thinks but have a few things that I'd like to sort firstly - oil cooler pipes for one.....

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Jul 23 13 4:47 PM

I am in the fortunate position of having both - 2.0 GTV and V6 Spider.

I think a lot is made about the drivability of the 2.0 in the twisty bits and this is true when comparing with a standard V6. Put a Q2 diff in however and the handling is truly transformed, gone is all trace of torque steer which was "interesting" before when booting it from a corner. Q2 is not a desirable option it is a necessity - takes out the very real possibility of standard diff failure which wrecks the gearbox as well.

In truth the V6 is unbeatable and I challenge anyone who having owned one would say they overall preferred the 2.0. Don't get me wrong I still love driving the 2.0 but it will now give me the odd heart stopping moment when, not thinking, I floor it and nothing (in comparison) happens.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 23 13 5:12 PM

Agree 110% nothing like a V6 GTVwith a Q2 diff absolute necessity IMO. And I am selling my V6 GTV - must be mad! I am replacing it with a V6 GT though can't drive without a Busso V6 in front!

Its old but its fast

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 23 13 5:18 PM

So basically you are sayin that yes the TS is better balanced through the twisty bits, but if you spend 7-800 sovs the Busso will equal it?

Hmmmm, I don't doubt for a minute that in a straight line drag race the Busso will get there first, but on our Devon twisty B roads??? I aint convinced.

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Jul 24 13 1:06 PM

Make sure you try a V6 with a Q2 diff my soon to be mine GT alreasdy got one fitted so that is £500+ saved.
V6 engine is just relentless from 1200 rpm it will just go and go you have to try it.

Its old but its fast

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jul 24 13 1:37 PM

Dave, Peppy...........

I am happy enough with the way my Twinny goes, more speed would not be any real advantage around here, good handling and getting through the bends quicker than most else is. Here's my take on it, all the reviews I have read where a difference has been mentioned point to the much heavier fuel consumption of the V6 over the Twinny, they say the weight distribution front to back is better on the Twinny than the V6, ergo, it's better balanced through the corners. They nearly all point out that the V6 is prone to heavy torque steer and wheel spin in wet conditions. As I previously said, if you got to spend 7-800 sovs on a Q2 diff to solve the understeer, torque steer, wheel spin tendencies of the V6, I for one would sooner not bother.

Now please understand, I am talking from the viewpoint of a driver that avoids motorways, and A roads in his Spider as much as possible, I head for the boondocks at the merest opportunity! It's true, I have never driven a Busso, but given the above, does it make sense for me to bother? I bought me Spider for bimbling around the countryside on warm sunny days, it was only after I got it that I realised how well it went. It's plenty fast enough for me.

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 24 13 2:24 PM

Chasmiff wrote:
Dave, Peppy...........

I am happy enough with the way my Twinny goes, more speed would not be any real advantage around here, good handling and getting through the bends quicker than most else is. Here's my take on it, all the reviews I have read where a difference has been mentioned point to the much heavier fuel consumption of the V6 over the Twinny, they say the weight distribution front to back is better on the Twinny than the V6, ergo, it's better balanced through the corners. They nearly all point out that the V6 is prone to heavy torque steer and wheel spin in wet conditions. As I previously said, if you got to spend 7-800 sovs on a Q2 diff to solve the understeer, torque steer, wheel spin tendencies of the V6, I for one would sooner not bother.

Now please understand, I am talking from the viewpoint of a driver that avoids motorways, and A roads in his Spider as much as possible, I head for the boondocks at the merest opportunity! It's true, I have never driven a Busso, but given the above, does it make sense for me to bother? I bought me Spider for bimbling around the countryside on warm sunny days, it was only after I got it that I realised how well it went. It's plenty fast enough for me.

Your posts make a lot of sense and, logically, I cannot argue with them.

Just for the hell of it get your hands on a V6 and give it a bit of a thrash on various roads.

Then come back and say you still feel the same way.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#11 [url]

Jul 24 13 4:27 PM

Well I hope I'm not sounding like a grumpy guts, I do get the Busso, and no-one could deny that opening the bonnet and seeing that beautiful Italian engineering, would like as not quicken the pulse of any petrol head! I reckon they sound nice too, (only got Youtube for that mind).........I suppose I was just trying to point out that for some of us, the TS is more than adequate, mine makes rather a nice noise as well, if a bit loud.

(Edit).......

By the way, I don't think that anybody can argue "logically" about cars, especially Alfas, given the alternatives that are available to us, (if we were being logical), we probably wouldn't buy an Alfa, but from what I can see, and have experienced so far, there aint much about that can put such a huge grin on yer face, this side of a Ferrari!

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 26 13 9:15 PM

Chasmiff wrote:
Well I hope I'm not sounding like a grumpy guts, I do get the Busso, and no-one could deny that opening the bonnet and seeing that beautiful Italian engineering, would like as not quicken the pulse of any petrol head! I reckon they sound nice too, (only got Youtube for that mind).........I suppose I was just trying to point out that for some of us, the TS is more than adequate, mine makes rather a nice noise as well, if a bit loud.

(Edit).......

By the way, I don't think that anybody can argue "logically" about cars, especially Alfas, given the alternatives that are available to us, (if we were being logical), we probably wouldn't buy an Alfa, but from what I can see, and have experienced so far, there aint much about that can put such a huge grin on yer face, this side of a Ferrari!

Oh mate - just actually DRIVE a sorted V6.
I used exactly the same arguments as you for 7 years as I put 120k miles on the 2.0 GTV. Then I bought the V6 Spider a year ago and it is a totally different driving experience. I just floor it and love it.

As I say both good cars but - I know if I had to choose it'd be the V6 - it really is so much more FUN.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 27 13 7:54 AM

I aint arguing, you is entitled to your opinion, just that mine is that my Twinny will do me for the foreseeable future. I have just had a cambelt service done on her (yesterday), so I wont be parting with her for a while yet if at all.

Busso Profundo me dear!

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jul 27 13 8:21 AM

Sorry Ray - didn't mean to come across as argumentative - got a bit carried away.

I love our 2.0 GTV and have spent far more on it than is sensible just because it IS so much fun to chuck about.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jul 27 13 8:33 AM

I didn't take exception mate life's too short..........Anyway, could you give me the benefit of your experience and tell me what this thing is? It's the black plastic box in the passenger side footwell on the side just in front of the door. My Spider has one, and I took off the plastic cover to see if I could discover what it is, but I couldn't seems to be some kind of switch thing?? This one is in a V6 GTV, which I must admit is a bit tempting!!

Get thee behind me Busso!!!!!!
--------------------

Click here to view the attachment

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Jul 28 13 8:16 AM

That switch is to reset fuel supply.

If you have a shunt the fuel supply is meant to shut off and you need to press the switch to turn it back on.

I hope you never have to use it!

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#20 [url]

Jul 28 13 8:29 PM

Well try look after them all the same! clean and treat as they go hard and the boulsters wear.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help