Remove this ad

daveypark

Global Moderator

Lead

Jul 1 13 7:04 PM

Tags : :

Had some time free on Saturday so jacked up the car and started on the pink and scratched front calipers.
Already bought the high temp paint from Halfords and decals from ebay and was motivated.
As it happened a mate wanted a second opinion on a Z3 (like I know what to look for on a BMW ) so I rushed it a bit but they turned out ok. When I put the decals on I'll complete the picky set and post them up.
Easy job, tools needed; axel stands as it's quicker to do two wheels at a go, drill and wire brush attachment, sponge sanding pads, brake cleaner and pre paint wipes, 1/2" brush, safety glasses if you're not a four eyes like me. I did buy a heat gun but it was hot anyway and paint dries pretty quick.
Handy stuff; thinners to get the paint off arms, swarfega or wet wipes (liberated from the downstairs loo) and clingfilm to stop brush drying out between 40 min coats.

I may tackle the rear calipers soon as they are a faded red but what colour are they supposed to be on the V6? - my twinny ones are black and look the same size?

Edit, and masking tape for yer nipples and abs sensor leads.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

daveypark

#2 [url]

Jul 3 13 11:30 AM

Re: Painted calipers

Ah-ha, more work to do then. Thanks Peppka.
Rears are all lumpy and fidly, did you do yours and if so did you remove the carrier of rub back and paint insitu?

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jul 4 13 10:02 AM

Worth considering painting the hubs if they are rusty while you have the wheels off. I did mine with grey hammerite looks OK if you stray onto the rubbed disk area doesn't matter first time you brake it is stripped off.

Its old but its fast

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#6 [url]

Jul 4 13 12:36 PM

Good shout Peppka.
Discs are new anyway so an easy prep.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

daveypark

#7 [url]

Jul 18 13 5:02 PM

Okey dokey, here's how they looked to start;

Then after grinding rough and loose paint back, a sand and 3 coats of HTP on the fronts, two on the rears:

Top tip from Peppka regarding painting hubs with silver.

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#9 [url]

Jul 19 13 7:12 AM

Ta! lots of colour options but red came as standard for the Gtv of course.
Saw some bright green ones on a GTA the other day...

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jul 20 13 6:39 AM

See experience counts, expect I will be painting GT calipers soon, as with 50,000 on the clock I expect they will be faded and lacqer peeling off.
Good that I still have paint and decals left from when I did GTV calipers, just need to buy cheapie throw away brushes.

Its old but its fast

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help