Remove this ad

Lead

May 29 13 8:54 AM

Tags : :

Curious to know how many of our GTV / Spiders have had there rear suspension bushes replaced with polybush kits?

Its something that I have partially completed on the rear of the GTV and intend to complete the remaining bushes in the next couple of weeks.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

May 30 13 12:27 PM

Re: Rear Suspension Polybush Kits

My V6 GTV was polybushed all round when I got it. What I have done is change all the shocks to Koni, OEM shocks as fitted by AR are rubbish IMO.

Its old but its fast

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#4 [url]

Jun 3 13 4:56 PM

Rear of the Twinny is polybushed but front wishies as OE, shocks replaced with something new by NJS, grey looking things.
Springs standard. Drives well.
V6 has Eibachs and KYB shocks, not looked any further into the rest of the suspension yet.

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Jun 10 13 7:08 PM

I had the GTV done 7 years ago (all 14 rear bushes) - it has done 125k miles since and it is still as good as new.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jun 10 13 7:18 PM

My V6 done 95,000 now suspension still pretty good, need a pair of tyres though think I will go for Eagles this time, completely off Pirelli 6000's I had fitted when I got car very noisey when worn.

Its old but its fast

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jul 1 13 11:14 AM

I have only had my Spider a couple of weeks but have already decided that she's a keeper, so to that end, and although the OE bushes seem ok, I am thinking of polybushing right through. My question is, is it expensive, and could I do it myself, I do have a bit of mechanical knowledge and a decent toolbox. Maybe it's best to have it done prefessionally?

Cheers, Ray.

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

daveypark

#8 [url]

Jul 1 13 5:51 PM

In my humble opinion unless you have experience and a press I'd have somebody else do it when it needs doing.
Rear p/f and front oe is supposed to be a good trade off.

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Jul 1 13 6:08 PM

daveypark wrote:
In my humble opinion unless you have experience and a press I'd have somebody else do it when it needs doing.
Rear p/f and front oe is supposed to be a good trade off.

Cheers David, I will have to see how much I can get it done for.

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#10 [url]

Jul 1 13 6:35 PM

If I remember rightly I had the back done for around £400 incl parts and labour & VAT but it really needed doing.
Probably 4 years ago now.
You will feel a harder ride but it tightens up the handling esp if the previous bushes were knackered. I wouldn't think of it as an upgrade and unless your bushes are shot but the cambelt would be a priority if it hasn't been done for more than 3 years or 36,000 miles, usually the former.

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jul 1 13 7:29 PM

Oh aye, the cam belt is due, on time not mileage, the car has only done about 4k a year for all it's life. It's a matter of urgency, and I am not using the car very much because of that, probably paranoia I know, but I will have to drive her from here to Bridgewater to get it done, so don't want to push my luck.

Just thought I would mention the garage I am taking her to, it's Longstones, just outside Bridgewater, I have had excellent service from them over a couple of parts items, very quick and sensible prices and postage, The chap I spoke to on both occasions certainly seems to know his stuff.

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#12 [url]

Jul 2 13 5:19 AM

Excellent, as well as the belts/tensioner/idler don't forget the variator and water pump at the same time. water pumps have been known to go on these too. when were the belts last done?

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 2 13 5:42 AM

Yes though he said that they do the water pump as a matter of course on the cam belt service, but they don't always do the variator unless it's noisy, though I might have it done anyway, just for comforts sake.

They charge about 500 sovs for the full monty, and I know some places are cheaper, but getting to them costs more in fuel, so it doesn't work out cheaper in the end. Plus, they will give me a courtesy car for the day, so I can have a day out in Somerset!

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#14 [url]

Jul 3 13 11:31 AM

Sounds about right Ray.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help