Remove this ad

daveypark

Global Moderator

Lead

Jul 16 12 6:07 AM

Tags : :

Our water is quite hard so it has to be dried so it must always be chammied off to prevent those limescale droplets on the paintwork . A friend of mine suggested rinsing the car with water from the water butt and I gave it a go yesterday.
Results were pretty good tbh, the soap suds were hosed off first and then I went around the cars with a watering can of the 'rainwater'.
Even the black car came up well.

Anybody else tried this?
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#1 [url]

Jul 20 12 5:47 PM

Re: Rinsing off

No, I haven't got a butt (no jokes please ) so I can't try this. I always dry my car off though. I use micro fibre cloths. In fact I usually give the damp car a spray of Aquawax and then buff it off to a shine.

Do as I say, not as I do

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 11 12 9:45 AM

I use this stuff. Having been a big fan of AG HiDef since it came out, and thinking it the best thing since someone invented Alfas.
I have 3 coats of this stuff on now, and I have to say it really is the dogs danglies. Water just rolls off it, takes minutes to clean the whole car. The a rub with a micro fibre towel, and its all shiny again.
Read the reviews. I was very sceptical, but unfounded, as it really does do what it says on the tin.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 89013169-p

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#4 [url]

Aug 12 12 7:16 PM

pendragonfalls wrote:
I use this stuff. Having been a big fan of AG HiDef since it came out, and thinking it the best thing since someone invented Alfas.
I have 3 coats of this stuff on now, and I have to say it really is the dogs danglies. Water just rolls off it, takes minutes to clean the whole car. The a rub with a micro fibre towel, and its all shiny again.
Read the reviews. I was very sceptical, but unfounded, as it really does do what it says on the tin.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp ... 89013169-p

Wow. Can't knock the product with those reviews Pdf. Still have a fait bit of polish left but this could be my next choice.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#5 [url]

Jul 2 13 7:09 PM

BUMP!

In case anybody is interested......(probably not)............but anyway, my dear old dad was a chauffeur before the war (WW2), and he told me that they never ever put wax on the Rolls, they were always washed off then well rinsed and chamois leathered, over time the chamois leather polished the paint to a very high gloss, that didn't need wax, it was so shiny the water beaded on it anyway. He also told me that the Royal Household cars are still cleaned that way today, although today was about 1985.

Now I would say that posh cars like those mentioned above get a LOT of attention, and I think maybe for us ordinary mortals a really good wax is like as not the best way to go, but I still chamois the car to dry it. At least the wax gives the car a modicum of protection against nasty road deposits, does bugger all against bird sh1t though!

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Jul 16 13 10:22 AM

I don't (won't) use chamois, even fake ones. I much prefer the shine a microfibre cloth brings up. I use Autoglym stuff pretty exclusively, but only because it's what I've got. The High Definition Wax is a good finish, but it's a bugger to shine off after you've left it for half an hour!

AquaWax is a good alternative in between proper waxing. You can't beat a good waxing IMO

Do as I say, not as I do

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#8 [url]

Jul 17 13 11:57 AM

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help