Remove this ad

daveypark

Global Moderator

Lead

Jun 19 12 6:30 AM

Tags : :

Okey dokey, I've noticed that the lid of my airbox is broken on one corner and there is only two screws holding the lid onto the box. The lid rattles about like a good un and has probably been like this for years.
My flexi has been gaffer taped up for at least three years now so last night I thought why not change the lot.
I have been trying to keep the car original unless the oe is really poor.
So what are the options, and what have you guys done? I don't want to break my (probably already broke) maf so cone filters not on my list really.
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

Ratty

#1 [url]

Jun 20 12 5:30 AM

Re: Airbox/air pipes options

head to ebay or any good breakers and buy a second had replacement box
or go down the K&N road. I done that on mine and noticed the difference as it will make the car more free revving and will decrease fuel consumption believe it or not

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Jun 20 12 10:04 AM

Got rid of the resonator on my V6 straight through pipe and fitted autodelta sport filter. Also had EMU re-mapped so can rev some way beyond 7000 (good nerves and cambelt needed for this) and have EB rear exhaust twin outlet which is more free flowing than OEM. So all bits added up together engine sounds a lot better, accelerates quicker uses less fuel (a little).

Its old but its fast

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#3 [url]

Jun 20 12 12:36 PM

Managed to find an original box and flexi from our local Alfa breakers, little job for the weekend.
Will have to do for the time being, £60 all in so pleased with that.

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#6 [url]

Jun 26 12 5:32 PM

Ok job done, took me about 45 mins and most of that was fussing about with those spring clamps. Is there a special tool for that or is a small posi screwdriver the best removal tool and pliers for reconnecting?
Anyhows the car goes so much better, air filter was bright yellow so not much air was finding it's was in the usual routes, instead in the top of the airbox. Throttle housing looked a wee bit dirty and oily inside and needed a wipe down.
So here you go, the first (and probably last) piccies of my scruffy engine bay.

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Jun 26 12 7:06 PM

There is a special little pair of pliers, that do those clips. Can't think of the name of them though...

Have you noticed much difference with the new pipe? I know I did..

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

daveypark

#8 [url]

Jun 27 12 7:53 AM

pendragonfalls wrote:
There is a special little pair of pliers, that do those clips. Can't think of the name of them though...

Have you noticed much difference with the new pipe? I know I did..

Yep quite a bit of difference, quick response and pulls more smoothly now.
Will give it a blast later on tonight as off to the AO WM meet.

Quote    Reply   

Ratty

#9 [url]

Jul 2 12 7:52 PM

The little things that make he difference to the car. Consider the K&N Davey will be much more better

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jul 3 12 7:36 AM

I've had the K&N in mine since last August. I keep reading stuff about the oil in it affecting the MAF.
I don't seem to have a problem. My mech had the MAF out for me the other day, to inspect it for oil deposits/dirt.
Nada/nothing/zero...

Why do K&N get such a bad rap..

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#12 [url]

Jul 3 12 8:00 AM

pendragonfalls wrote:
I've had the K&N in mine since last August. I keep reading stuff about the oil in it affecting the MAF.
I don't seem to have a problem. My mech had the MAF out for me the other day, to inspect it for oil deposits/dirt.
Nada/nothing/zero...

Why do K&N get such a bad rap..

Its weird isn't it, its not as if the filter is exposed - its in a housing as well.

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 3 12 8:12 AM

I could see a potential problem if the filter was above the MAF. Warm oil would tend to flow down into it.
Can't see how oil would be "sucked" upward though..

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#14 [url]

Jul 13 12 6:00 AM

I see where you are coming from, the K & N has oil impregnated. Yes it does seem unlikely that the oil could be drawn upwards to the maff but I don't understand the physics involved - perhaps tiny droplets can get transported in vapour?
The shutter flaps in my hosing were quite oily without a K & N and with a standard filter barely working at all and God knows where that came from either!

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help