Remove this ad

axeman

Lead

Apr 3 12 10:32 AM

Tags : :

Inspired by the excellent technical threads written by Alan, NOS, Chris (over on AO and 156) I've decided to start a little project of my own.

The belts are due on the GTV within the next 6 months so I decided that if I was ever going to have a go and dismantle and rebuild a V6, now is the time! It's also handy that Chris lives 15 mins up the road and has kindly said he'll lend a hand when needed

I have a bit a technical know how. I stripped and rebuilt an A Series engine from my Mini while I was at uni and fixed a head gasket failure (twice - don't ask.....) on my fathers old Vauxhall (Opel) 1.3 OHC Astra a few years ago, so I'm not completely incompetent.....

I'll try and take as many photos as I can but please don't expect the quality of the threads I mentioned above!

So to start....after ring and emailing dismantlers and scrapyards for a few weeks I found something interesting at Autolusso. It was a CF2 3L V6 from a GTV, described as having mayonnaise for oil but it wasn't knocking when run.

Gambling on the fact that not too much damage has been done, it's now in my garage or

I must be mad!!
Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

axeman

#1 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:41 AM

Re: V6 Strip down, balance and rebuild

Chris(155) has been over with his hoist and helped me load the engine onto a stand. We took the DMF off (with a little help from a pick axe!!) for it to fit the stand and I've started dismantling!!

Yuck, mayonnaise! :sick:

Covers off

More mayonnaise! Wear on the cams seems to be good for a 100k mile engine!

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#2 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:42 AM

1st head off to be confronted with this. The water in the cylinders has come from the water jacket when taking the head off so no panic there but the centre piston (no.5) has rust stains!

Water from engine.
I have a feeling someone had used rad weld/k seal

Head gasket - no obvious signs of failure to my untrained eye....

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#3 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:43 AM

2nd head off

Hmmm more rust stains, this time in cylinder 3! How did that water/moisture get in there? Failure of the gasket from cylinder to water jacket or cracked head??!!

Looking at the gasket, I'm hoping that's the problem as the sealing ring looks a bit clean on nearly half of it!

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#4 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:44 AM

Ordered this - http://books.google.com/books?id=m61X0Z ... &q&f=false from Amazon, it arrived yesterday. Really good book, and worth buying if modding a V6!

I've got a bit carried away with the dismantling and not taken many photos...

This could be the point of failure between the oil way and water jacket but hard to tell really

Looks like there could have been cam belt failure in a past life. Difficult to tell on the photos but there are valve marks on some of the pistons I've cleaned up.

The crank looks ok, it'll be checked before it's all lightened and balanced

Lots of bits and the block ready for the worst job..... cleaning!

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#5 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:46 AM

Got the heads back finally after they've been skimmed and pressure tested. I didn't go mad with the skim, only 0.4mm. Regretting spending to get them pressure tested now I know they're fine, (if that makes sense) it wasn't cheap....!

Next job, cleaning up the valves

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#6 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:48 AM

Update

Where to start....well the heads have now been rebuilt with help from Chris (I lapped the valves in, Chris did most of the rebuild work ) we found 5 bent valves, 3 in, 2 ex. Chris just happened to have some on the shelf so another big

Piston liners - The liners were extremely difficult to remove from the block, consequently they ended up getting damaged and chipped when removing them. Normally on a V6 the liners should just pull out easily, or with a light tap. So after a bit of a discussion with Chris and his dad, remembering the engine had over heated with the head gasket failure, I decided to source another block. It just so happened at the time there was a block, minus heads being advertised on AO so I snapped it up and set about dismantling it. The bottom end is in much better shape than the first, no valve damage on the pistons, and the crank and bearings also showing less wear, so I've decided to use all parts from this 2nd engine.

Piston rings - I decided to go for Total Seal gapless piston rings. I've heard a few good reports about them so well see...

Engine balancing - I've just this morning dropped off the crank, pistons, rods, flywheel etc etc to be balanced. A company in Crewe - http://www.davebrooks-engines.co.uk/ After a few months of ringing, emailing various companies around the country I decided to go to them.
I've also given him the piston liners, as they need to be honed when using new piston rings.

Once that's completed, it's reassembly time

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#7 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:48 AM

Well nearly a month later and the balancing has been completed.

He emailed me a quick run down of what has been done. I sort of understand it but will go through it all tomorrow.
[quote]
balanced the pistons, balanced the rods

End over end, cleaned the crank, calculated the balance & balanced the assembly to 1 gram,

Then fitted the clutch and balanced the same, the pistons were zero on two and 1·5 to 3 grams on the

Other four, the rods were 5 grams on the caps, 3·5 on the small end & 2-4 grams on the beam,

The liners all honed and cleaned up fine with hardly any visible wear

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#8 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:49 AM

All components were weighed and balanced.
Pistons are 594g (including piston rings) with 1.5g to 3g having to be removed from four pistons. Two were spot on 594g!

Total piston rod weight came in at 617g. They were matched end to end. Nearly all the rods had to have a touch machined from them either from the big end, the small end or shaft depending on what was needed.

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

axeman

#9 [url]

Apr 3 12 11:01 AM

Another update

I had the engineering shop gap the total seal rings for me. They've used them before and said they can be a pain to do, so better safe than sorry, I left it with them to do.
So it's time to rebuild once I get the garage cleared of all the junk that has collected over winter....

Quote    Reply   

daveypark

#10 [url]

Apr 4 12 6:45 AM

Thanks for carrying your thread over axeman, it's a valuable and interesting topic.

Just for clarity, will this be a spare engine for you?

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#11 [url]

Apr 4 12 10:48 AM

No worries

Once it's built, it'll go in the GTV, so I'll have the engine that's currently in that spare. Not sure what to do with it, strip it down and do the same as this and sell or sell it as a good used engine....

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#13 [url]

Jun 1 12 7:29 PM

Just a little update as it's been a while...
what do you think?

been cleaning and spraying the block, just need to clean the gasket faces then it's ready to start building

Quote    Reply   

axeman

#14 [url]

Jun 1 12 8:05 PM

Bored tonight as the other half is in work, so I decided to clean up and prime the cam belt shrouds. They'll have a coat of satin black tomorrow.

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Jun 6 12 5:31 PM

All clean and sparkly new!

Do as I say, not as I do

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help