Remove this ad

Lead

Apr 2 12 9:40 PM

Tags : :

Hello - have just about had full innings out of Spider hood. Wasn't new when I bought Spider in 2006 and it's had 3 severe winters (with inches of snow on top) and 2-3 scorchio summers baking it. Add in killing it with kindness and slathering Granger's 'Fabsil' over it (DON"T do this - it shrinks the side panels! ) so it's pretty much shot. The side velcros are now leaking a bit so I will need a new one before winter. I'm near West London and prices vary from expensive to extortionate

I am prepared to travel - I'm a nutter like that - I go to the bowels of rural Norfolk for Land Rover repairs 'cos the guys good and very reasonable (8 hour round trip).

Anyone had experience of the best hoods and fitters at a reasonable price (Scottish Highlands may be a trip too far btw) - lovely as a trip up there would be in the recent weather! Are there any makes that are pants and should be steered clear of?

1997 Acido Green Twin Spark Spider Lusso
1992 Land Rover Defender 90 200 TDi
Very large fuel bills
Very large garage bills
Very big smile on face

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Remove this ad

#2 [url]

Apr 3 12 10:50 PM

Re: Hood on Spider

I was quoted £565.00 inc VAT for a burgandy hood,fitted at Carhood Warehouse in Nov 2010, my hood is decent for a 2001 car but the rear window clacked in the winter & just fancy a roof to go with red interior.They need the car for a full day so its organizing a 2 day break as they are well south of me. Go online & have a look.

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Apr 13 12 3:37 PM

Thanks pendragonfalls - have been up to my eyeballs on other stuff and missed it. No worries though - it looked not a great deal better than mine - so probably new one is best.

I'll look into carhood warehouse as well. There is one other company down on south coast - got good feedback from another Alfa owner - but business is crap at returning enquiries (doesn't bode too well)!

Cheers

Very large fuel bills
Very large garage bills
Very big smile on face

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Apr 16 12 7:23 AM

I'm just about to try out the wonders of Renovo on mine (I'll document it for everyone, as per usual )

Interesting what you say about Fabsil though. Mike Gill does his with it and thinks its the bees knees. I wonder if it's down to quantity applied??

Do as I say, not as I do

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Apr 21 12 1:57 PM

May be down to quantity (I don't drown it - it's expensive stuff) but I do like to put a bit on as it sits out all year around.

There is a company in Dorset that's a sideline business supplying - and he will do me a deal - but it's really fitting it. That's not a DIY job (for me anyway) - I have the time, tools, knowledge or frankly patience to do it!

Very large fuel bills
Very large garage bills
Very big smile on face

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Apr 22 12 6:07 PM

My Renovo arrived on Thursday.

I'm STILL waiting for a three hour window for the first coat I need an empty garage

Do as I say, not as I do

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad

#9 [url]

May 25 12 4:32 PM

Went to use the Renovo today....

Not terribly happy with the outcome. I first used the cleaner and let it dry. Then attempted to use the dye.
Followed the instructions to the letter. It splatters everywhere, no matter how careful you are.
Its a right bugger to get off the paintwork.

I didn't even do the whole roof. Just in and around the seams, and the bit at the bottom of the back window.
Its even worse to get off the plastic screen..

Just as well my roof wasn't too bad in the first place. I only touched up here and there.
I did find that the black "dye" wasn't that black either. My roof was blacker before I started.

Shan't be using it again...

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Jun 6 12 5:29 PM

Totally agree about it getting everywhere It's all over my windscreen

Mine does look better; the marks are lessened. I gave it two coats.

Do as I say, not as I do

Quote    Reply   

#11 [url]

Jun 14 13 12:29 PM

BUMP!

I have read the comments with interest, mine is looking a bit shabby, and I have been contemplating what to do, go for new or try and renovate??? I am at the moment inclined to soldier on with it for a bit, as I want to get a cam belt change done first.

I just bought a new gear stick knob for mine, as it was decidedly less spiffy as the rest of her innards, found a company near Bridgewater, Longstones Garage, Main Road, Callington Bridgewater, Somerset. Tel. 01278 652233. They couldn't have been more helpful, and were very quick in getting it to me, (2 days).........If you need any bits, give 'em a bell and ask for Steve in the parts department. They have 5 stars from Alfa's customer feedback scheme, unlike Vospers in Exeter and Plymouth, who are absolutely dire!!

Cheers, Ray.

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Jun 20 13 10:00 PM

I tried the Renovo and it was OK, but it tightened my hood up so much that it kept popping the clips. I had to keep adjusting them. I will be getting a new hood when I've got the money, but in the meantime good old boot polish is doing a good job!

Do as I say, not as I do

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Jul 1 13 7:52 PM

spidergirl wrote:
I tried the Renovo and it was OK, but it tightened my hood up so much that it kept popping the clips. I had to keep adjusting them. I will be getting a new hood when I've got the money, but in the meantime good old boot polish is doing a good job!

Boot polish on Mohair?? Mines blue though, don't see much blue boot polish!

Cheers, Ray.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Jul 16 13 10:17 AM

I'm not sure about it being mohair! It just looks like cloth to me and, yes, boot polish is doing a better job than to Renovo for a lot less money and mess! And it's waterproof too!

But, when all is said and done, there's only so much you can do and I think a new hood is in the offing shortly. My back screen is now quite badly cracked and my replacement from here never turned up

Do as I say, not as I do

Quote    Reply   
Remove this ad
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help